Sunday, March 22, 2009

Broken Bone

I had every intention of posting a family picture of Doug and I at the mountain with the boys from last weekend, but that's not quite how things worked out. I have no pictures to prove I was actually up there. Instead, I have a broken collarbone. After enjoying a quick lunch with the boys and then sending them off to their lessons Doug and I headed up the mountain for what would be my first and only run of the season. I have nothing dramatic or exceptional to report on how my injury occurred. Just that I caught an edge, flipped around and while trying to catch my balance I fell really hard on my left shoulder. Recovery time should be around six weeks. I go in for another x-ray the beginning of April and they'll be able to tell if the bone is starting to heal.

So, I'm almost completely worthless. I absolutely cannot hold or change Annemarie which has been very sad (for me), but she is getting lots of attention and time with Doug and Aunt Erin. This past week I've spent most of it in bed sleeping or reading (I've finished four books this week and am half way through another). I've stopped taking pain medication which has helped, I'm more alert and able to drive. Erin has been helping us SO MUCH and Doug's taken time off of work. Mom is coming to stay in another week and we're all looking forward to her visit.

So, I've come to accept things like this happen. No matter how inconvenient this is (for everyone involved) I am so thankful for the health, love and outpouring of support from our friends and family. On the bright side I get to catch up on my reading!

5 comments:

simplydesign said...

kelly, i'm so sorry to hear about your injury...hope you have a speedy recovery!

Anonymous said...

Oh no, mom's can't break bones! I'm so sorry! Jax had a minor break in his collarbone this summer, also from falling on his shoulder, and although it was pretty painful at first he healed really quickly. I hope the same happens for you.

In the meantime enjoy the break from your normally crazy shcedule...and the time with your mom :)

Renee said...

Yikes! That sounds both awful and wonderful (only the reading part). Mainly awful. Get better soon!

The Bertelsen Bunch said...

Kelly I am so sorry that happened! Hope you recover quickly, but do take time to rest and read those great books!!

d.e. hovde said...

I am sooooo soooo bummed for you. Hang in there. Maybe I need to come fly out and help! Oh, wait. What would I do with those kids? Mrrrr. Enjoy Palm Springs. How mobile will you be by then???