Today was one of those days where my love of being a mom was tested. I'd like to start out by saying I know and am very thankful that I have such mild-mannered and easy going kids. However, today was a rough day.
We started out at the doctor's office (Jack was due for two shots). We checked in, which was a bit tricky since Jack is no longer in his carrier and Will has a tendency to run away if I'm not holding on to him. I let go of Will to sign papers and thankfully he ran to the corner filled with toys. I followed him, carrying Jack past two extremely well dressed and put together pharmacutical reps. We are not more than five feet away and Jack spit up (all over) and I hear the guy say "that baby just threw up". As I'm cleaning him off (and the floor) I realize I'm offended because it was just a little spit up and apparently this person does not think Jack is the most darling creature ever.
Later when we are getting ready to leave the office Will decides he'd rather stay. He wants to turn on and put his hands in the drinking fountain. Then he wants to go back over to the toys and once there he proceeds to grab a toy from another child and makes him cry. Thankfully the mom was totally normal and didn't make a big deal out it. When I thought I had finally convinced Will to leave I notice a guy I went to high school with has just walked into the office (of course he has no children, is not married and is probably very content with his life). Anyhow, my first thought is "how fun, I can introduce him to the boys," and at that very moment Will decided he no longer wanted to stand or listen to me. I quickly turned away hoping my fellow WLHS alum did not notice me. I dragged Will over to the door and reminded him how much he enjoys opening doors (remember I'm holding Jack, the diaper bag and car keys). This did not work and Will broke into a full fledge hysterical tantrum - rolling around in the doorway then crawling back inside (why couldn't he crawl outside?). Finally I picked him up kicking and screaming and headed out to the car.
You'd think after this episode I'd head home and lock the doors. Instead we went to the mall since I needed to buy some items for the boys. We head in, the boys in the stoller, everyone is behaving and I think, we'll be quick. I was quick, unfortunately Jack decided he no longer wanted to be in the stoller, but wanted to be held and screamed until I picked him up. No big deal, this happens all the time. Unfortunely after we purchased our items I had to put him back in the stroller since I cannot push it one handed (believe me, I've tried). Of course, he starts screaming at the top of his lungs. I'm trying to get back to the car so I can take him out of the stroller and calm him down. People are parting, making room for us, Jack's face is as red as a tomato. Everyone was looking at us, and I swear, each one mumbling "poor baby". Finally I get outside and this woman in front of me is walking very slowly and I cannot pass her, eventually she turns around and asks if she can help me. I realize this is a very kind gesture, but at the same time I'm totally annoyed because I know my child and Jack just wants to be held and she's slowing us down.
Needless to say it was a rough start to the day (this all occurred before 1p). I realize situations like these are supposed to make me stronger and hopefully a better mom. Oh, the embarassement and humiliation we endure for the sake of our children.
1 comment:
oh my dear, what a day..i can only imagine as i often ended up with a screaming baby no matter where i went, thankfully she's gotten better, but i know the tantrums are on the way. if it were me, i think i'd go home and have a glass of wine and buy myself something fun. hee hee!
dianne
Post a Comment